Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My turn--Nor Azurah Binti Mat Akhir (Azura)


Part A - about me:

Name: Nor Azurah Binti Mat Akhir
Age: 24 years old
Qualifications: Bachelor Degree in Biology (Genetics), National University of Malaysia. Currently pursuing Master degree in Bioprocess Engineering, University of Technology Malaysia.
Job Title: Research Associate
Employer: Chemical Engineering Pilot Plant and has been with this company for 1 1/2 year.

what drives me in my research:
Being a researcher is something worth to strive for. Exploring new thing and expecting the unexpected result, are the reason for me to choose this path. I am curious and this curiosity really fits me into this area. What really excites me is the exploration that I'll gain after my research is complete and lead to another new unexpected exploration.

Postgraduate studies:
this research is very meaningful to me as the result can give our traditional Malaysian herb one step ahead in contributing towards curing dangerous disease as cancer. This is a kick start for me as I can diversify my knowledge and skills in applying to other traditional Malaysian herbs, or widen up the usage of this one specific herb.

Part B- My background, my postgraduate study and current job.

Choosing this area of research/Postgraduate study:I have been exposed to molecular work before and I'm glad that I'm involving again in pursuing my master studies. I know that cell culture is quite apart from identifying DNA bands, but when we have strong basic lab working skills in molecular area, I truly believe that it helps a lot. I am also identifying the potential of our Malaysian Traditional Herb (Mas Cotek). I believe that every single herb that blooms around here in Malaysia has its own therapeutic value and this has driven me to choose the area of my study, to prove scientifically about what traditional practitioners have claimed, 'herbs that can cure cancer'.

Starting postgraduate studies:
i have already planned to further study in master's degree after i finished my undergraduate. I know that if this is the way that i choose i should be serious and equip myself completely. I have graduated 2 years ago, gaining experience in CEPP for solid annum and go for a master degree. I'm thankful that I am on my track and hopefully i can have doctorates degree before 30 \^O^/.

My research:
The morphological and growth characterization of human ovarian carcinoma cell line treated with
Ficus deltoidea (mas cotek) extract.

The best bits:
I learned lots of thing and will learn more things in the future. learning is process of life, opportunities that should be grab, patience, dealing with people, being knowledgable and the best is i do what i like to do - explore.


My Advice:
be yourself, live life positively and always be happy. Grab all the opportunities, leave the entire bad thing behind but learn from it, stay forward and focus. this recipe should be enough to motivate my self and with this, i am always looking forward, enjoy life and love to learn something new.


2 comments:

F A Abdul Majid, PhD said...

good attempt. I hope to read more of your masterpiece.

Unknown said...

hi...i'm currently doing my bachelor degree of biomedical engineering in University of Malaya...a 3rd year student currently and i love research..thanx for sharing these great stories...i am very interested in tissue engineering!! that's actually the first thing came to my mind when i attend this course and i believe that this field will benefits many people in the future! INSYAALLAH!