Sunday, July 6, 2008

Cells Story

I started as humble hybridoma TC/C3.bcl-2. My parents are spleen cells and myeloma cells. I was born in Immunology department with the trait of expressing bcl-2 protein. The gene was isolated in Australia I was told and inserted to TB/C3 hybridoma by Immunology group in Birmingham Univ, UK way back in early 1990's.

People may underestimated my capability. I became a subject of study in Animal Cell Culture Group at BU ever since till MAR moved to UCD, Dublin. I was a hero to many including Rabinder, Nick and FAAM (to name a few) then. I secreted IgG1 which was an important material for FAAM study. She looked at the sugar structures attached to Fc region of IgG1 I secreted while growing in various culture systems.

In year 2000, I was flown to Malaysia (UTM) via normal mail. As I survived the hursh condition during a week travel, my control, TB/C3.pEF parished. I continued living for hundreds more passages. I had a chance to worked with Melissa, Taher, Rosmiyati in the early days in TCEL.

Where are other TB/C3 now? Thank you to my manipulators, to them I in debt. They made me so robust, adaptable and easy to handle living with minimal nutrients.

No comments: