Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hi!


PART A: About me

Name: Rohana Binti Abu
Age: 25 years old
Qualifications: Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Job Title: Research Associates
Employer: Department of Chemical Engineering (Bioprocess), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
What drives me in my work/research: My mom
3 things I can’t live without: My specs, my only car, my meow meow
Postgraduate study: Master of Engineering (Bioprocess)


PART B: My background, my postgraduate study and current job

Starting postgraduate studies:
My research project entitled ‘The effects of free fatty acids on insulin receptor sensitivity and glucose transport in 3T3-L1 adipocytes`. Well it was quite tricky when I first read about my project. Coz, frankly speaking, I have no biological knowledge and this project is based on that knowledge. Erm… quite scary, isn’t it? But yeah nothing is impossible as long as you know exactly what you want to do. So, I take this challenge. So here’s the beginning of my stories….

My research/postgraduate study:
High level of plasma free fatty acid (FFA) is known to induce insulin resistance and that insulin resistance is linked to type 2 diabetes. The increased level of these free fatty acids is due to the increased consumption of fats which consequently reduced the sensitivity of insulin receptor and thus affected the glucose regulation in cells. Is this really happening? or it’s just propaganda behind the claims… nah! This is what I want to prove…like detective ah ha!

The best bits:
Handling the cell is the best thing I have ever done. Thanks a lot to my supervisor, Prof. Dr. Mohamad Roji Sarmidi (who first introduced me the project) and our head of research team, PM Dr. Fadzilah Adibah Abd. Majid for their kind supervision and continuous guidance and help. Thanks also to Ting Lee Yu, my senior, who taught me everything and my lab mates for their love and friendship (when I once nearly lost my ring!)

My work:
In vitro study is carried out to investigate the effects of free fatty acids on insulin receptor sensitivity and glucose transport in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.


Looking ahead/Life after postgraduate study:

The animal cell culture certainly suited my interest. So, I want to explore more cell-based work. Besides, I’m looking for great efforts to cure all diseases that killing people especially breast cancer as far as I concerned and as far as I could. With that in mind, I would like to pursue a PhD in the related field. After that I want to move on to do an academic postdoctoral position and continue within the academic community with the idea of my own research.

My advice:
When you do something, do it with genuine heart. Then you’ll be happy.






1 comment:

F A Abdul Majid, PhD said...

you have a lot to tell about your cells...